About Keylong and Nordaling
Keylong is the only place in Lahaul Spiti that can be referred to as a town. Although located at a distance of 90Kms from Manali in Himachal Pradesh, the place is heavily crowded in the months of May to July due to arrival of travelers and tourists from not only India but abroad as well. What makes Keylong so special is its strategic geographical location that makes it a perfect place to rest and get acclimatized before proceeding to Leh Ladakh or Sarchu.
- Altitude : 3080 mtrs
- Distance from Manali : 115Kms
- Season : May to October
- Primary Occupation : Agriculture.
- Description : Keylong (or Kyelong or Kyelang) is the administrative centre of the Lahaul and Spiti district in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. It is located along the Manali-Leh Highway, about 7 km (4.3 mi) north-east of intersection of the Chandra Valley, the Bhaga Valley, and the Chenab Valley; on the banks of Bhaga River. Keylong faces the famous Kardang Monastery, the largest and most important monastery in Lahaul, of the Drukpa sect of Tibetan Buddhism, which is on a slope across the river from Keylong. Sights near Keylong include the Kardang, Shasur, and Tayul monasteries, all within a few kilometres of Keylong. There is also a small temple dedicated to the local deity Kelang Wazir in the house of Shri Nawang Dorje that may be visited upon arrangement.The annual Lahaul Festival is held here each July with a big, busy market and a number of cultural activities.
Facilities and Availabilities
As mentioned earlier as well, Keylong plays a key role in food and necessity supplied sent further to Indo China border army. Keylong is accessed from Manali by Manali-Leh Highway, a part of NH21. It is located about 115 km (78 mi) north of Manali. It is located at an altitude of 3,080 m (10,100 ft) and cut off from the outside world from October-end to mid-May due to heavy snowfall at Rohtang Pass that closes the pass during the winter. The peak travel season is during May and June when a lot of tourists visit Rohtang pass. There are enough buses in summer season from manali. The time taken is 4 to 10 hours depending upon the condition of the road (that sometimes becomes too slippery because of snowfall) and traffic jam that occurs at Rohtang pass and Beas nallah near Marhi. It is advisable to cross Rohtang pass before 8 am.
- Hotels and Guest Houses.
- Choppers to Bhuntar in Kullu Distt.
- Local shopping arcades.
- Excellent opportunities for Nature photography.
- Camping and Trekking sites.